<E36> Big brakes wheel clearance

Some time ago I posted a note about wheel clearance issues with big brake kits
(in particular Steve D's Porsche kit).  I had known about needing 17" wheels,
but hadn't realized that clearance from the back of the spokes to the calipers
would be an issue.  My wheels required large spacers to clear.  In my search
for wheels that would fit better, I collected some measurements on required
spacers for a few wheels, listed below.  The measurements are specific to the
Porsche kit (and E36 application), but the relative values should apply to
other kits where this is an issue as well.

I give minimum spacer thickness for ZERO clearance with the Porsche brakes.
 You can't actually use the wheels this way, but the comfortable amount of
clearance depends on personal preference - 3mm is probably the minimum safe
value to add to the values below.  Also note that these spacers are in addition
to the extra 5mm of brake hat thickness that comes with this particular brake
kit.

Wheels I test fitted (all 17") in order of compatibility with brakes:

Forgeline - 0 mm spacer
BBS (RX and some unknown 5-spoke model) - 3mm spacer
BMW (3 different model M3 wheels) - 7mm spacer
Fikse - 11 mm spacer
Breyton Softline - 14 mm spacer

I ended up getting Forgelines for my track wheels - they fit very well with a
5mm spacer.

I also made measurements of the profile of the Porsche calipers relative to the
mounting surface of the brake hat on the hub.  I now have a profile template
which can be held against the back side of a candidate wheel to see how well it
will clear the calipers.  If anyone could use a copy, let me know.

Doug Holcomb
'93 325i, M3 suspension, big brakes