<e28> OBC question

Here's a puzzler for you e28 gurus.

A few days ago my OBC was flashing on my '86 528e and needed to be reset.
Figured a fuse was not making good contact -- happens sometimes.  During the
reset I noticed a different display for the "timer" function.  One that I
had never seen before.  Asked for a time input, much like an alarm.

Put in a time, and sure enough when that time came the light on the "timer"
button started flashing -- but did not chime.

Tried to get it to cycle between timer and alarm, but couldn't.  I did not,
however, remove power from it.  The alarm mode is not described anywhere in
my owners manuals. (come to think of it, my OM is for the '85 528e and an
'84 325e, not the '86)  Haven't had the '86 long but it has never happened
on the '85 which I have had for several years.

Well today the OBC was flashing again, and sure enough, the "timer" was back
in its normal mode.

Anyone know what is going on.  Software version is 5.8TYP.  I would like to
be able to use it as an alarm or at least know how how it works. Are there
any other "features" hidden in there.

Thanks,

Burt Tribble   btribble@domain.elided
BMWCCA 146543