scca rules and preparation

Dean Davis wrote:
>Does anyone on the list know of a website that details the
regulations and
>rules for ITA, ITB, and ITC club racing?  I'd like to get a bit of
info on
>what types of Bimmers can run in which catagory, as well as the
manner in
>which the cars must be et up.

to which richard welty replied in great detail, outlining the
preparation specs for IT cars racing in SCCA events (thanks
richard)...

i would like to add some comments to richard's comments...

    > ITA:    2002Tii
    > ITB:    2002 (non Tii), 320i
    > ITC:    1602

in addition...

ITB:    E30 318i      ('84-85)
ITS:    E30 318i/is   ('90-91)
        E30 325i/is   ('87-91)
        E36 325i/is   ('92 only)

the E36 318i/is has just been submitted for classification, so it may
be legal for next year. i think it's odd that the later 318's and
325's are both in ITS, it may be  due to the fact that the 318 would
probably still overpower anything in ITA. nevertheless, i wouldn't
want to race a 318 in ITS, especially given the fact that you're only
allowed a 10 lb weight advantage over the 325! (each car has a
specified minimum weight, listed in the ITCS).

    > the Tii and the 320i must retain their stock FI.

all of the E30 and E36 cars are in the same boat here. it has been
submitted to the competition board that 'chipping' be made legal for
next year. i believe this has been provisionally approved. it remains
to be seen if the approval becomes official though. it is my
understanding that it has been approved before, and then been shot
down.

    > wheel diameter must be stock; wheel width...

ITS/ITA: 7" width max.
ITB/ITC: 6" width max.

for tires, most folks in ITA & ITS seem to be running 225's, while
205's are prevalent in ITB & ITC. didn't see too many 215's, might
just be hard to get.

    > ducting may be added, but there are some constraints
    > on openings in bodywork that may affect duct routing.

NO non-stock openings may be added, so pass up buying that car with
the hood scoop. :)

    > front passenger seat must be retained.

another rule which may be gone by next year.

    > order a copy of the GCR, and a copy of
    > the IT Category Specification.

absolutely, great reading if you're considering going racing, the GCR
is $5 and the ITCS is $20. i bought the stewards manual, it's $40 but
includes the GCR and all of the category spec books (reading the
other specs helps you understand what you're seeing when you walk
around the paddock). in addition, get out to an event, walk the
paddock and talk to the competitors. racers are usually friendly
people (provided they're not busy) and will talk your ear off if you
give them half a chance. when it comes to deciding what to race and
how to do it, remember, everyone has an opinion, so talk to lots of
folks and make up your own mind.

good luck,
m.

E36 M3