E36 M3 water pump

A couple months ago I sent in a post about my 97 M3 making a squealing
noise coming from the motor.  I went to the dealer and of course the car
was fine when I got there.  So I have been putting up with this noise on
and off for the last several months. Yesterday the squealing noise came
back again so I drove to the dealer and this time they finally got to
hear it.  I was told it sounded like the the bearings in the water pump
are going bad and they ordered a new water pump.  With only 11,000 miles
on my car, is it common for the water pump to go bad?
Just seems like it ought to last a little longer than that.

Suzy
97 M3 luxury
ACS Short shift, x brace, Dinan exhaust
clear lenses, Redline MTF