Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:10:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Mazza <jm0045@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Today's Flame Topic: Why is lugging bad?

I'm not a tech so I can't explain it any better than any other
armchair mechanic.  But having been a Navy pilot for many years, I can
vouch for the fact that lugging (technically called "overboost" in a
big radial engine: too much manifold pressure for too few revs*) was
frowned upon by the manufacturer (Pratt & Whitney) and required an
inspection if admitted to by a pilot, and sometimes an engine change.

*There were manifold pressure limits for corresponding RPM's that you
could not exceeded. (You had to memorize them.)

Joe

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]