	Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:01:44 -0400
	From: Bruce Augenstein <Bruce.Augenstein@domain.elided>
	Subject: Today's Flame Topic: Why is lugging bad?

	Lugging: Operating an engine below its "normal" range under
load, so that it
	demonstrates general signs of discomfort through noise,
vibration,
	harshness, and a general unwillingness to accelerate the vehicle
in an
	acceptable manner.

	(Insert picture and sound track here of any Corvette in sixth
gear at 30
	mph, trying to accelerate up a hill.)

Or any Fiat Panda in first gear on downhill bit! :)

	Lugging is supposed to be "bad" for your engine. For purposes of
	conversation (and short of prolonged detonation in a vehicle
without knock
	sensors), I say that it isn't - it's only bad for your teeth and
jaw muscles
	if you are in the vehicle.

	Prove me wrong.

	No fair saying "It'll burn your valves!" or some such, unless
you're willing
	to describe just why and how lugging does this, or any other bad
thing.