Re: bmw-digest V9 #86 & lugging.

OK, I wasn't going to rise to the bait, but I can guarantee one bad
consequence for lugging:  You will ruin your transmission.

	I just had a discussion about it at work before I read this, so the
pump was primed:  If you lug an engine, the firing impulses come far
apart, and there is more variation in the torque loading of the crank.
Smoothing out the torque loads in the crank is the job of the flywheel.
If you try to make too much torque at too low a speed, you get out of
the acceptable range of the flywheel, and you begin pounding things.

	I have a friend who is a conservative old fart, and he drives his Chevy
pickup by slipping the clutch to start, and using just enough revs to
keep from stalling while he drives around town, and runs in as high a
gear (its a 5-speed behind a 350) as he can.  The reward:  Growling
noises coming from the tranny bearings.  I warned him that this was bad
once on a long trip out to Big Bend, and he wasn't impressed.  About a
year later, he called me and let me know that he had to have his tranny
rebuilt because the input shaft bearings were shot.

	Nyah.
- --

RangeR
  BoB
Hembrook

'89 BMW 750iL                   "Sputnik"         91k
'89 Suzuki Samurai 4x4          "Sammy"           94k
'88 Kawasaki ZX-10                                28k