RE: e30 m3 stuff

>I went to the dealer today (Beaudry BMW/Saab) in Tucson, AZ today looking for
>the camber (crash) correcting strut bearings I've been reading about today.
>They've never heard of these before.  Does anyone use these on an e30 m3 for
>AS autox, are they available?  Anyone have a good fast setup for this car?  I
>have had it about five months and I'm just working out the tire pressures
with
>R1s.  Any help would be excellent.
>
>I also asked about the factory manual CD.  "Never heard of it."  They weren't
>much help.
>TIA
>Tony W
>89 M3

Well, there's the real problem:  a Saab dealer trying to sell BMWs.  Every
try to ask a Saab dealer about performance parts?  They look at you like a
deer caught in the headlights.

For an E30 M3, you can put together a nice "combination"
autocross/track/street suspension for a little over $1000 in parts if you
have the time to shop around for the best price.  For a combination
suspension, try this:  Bilstein Sport shocks, H&R or Eibach springs,
Suspension Techniques adjustable swaybars, and the factory camber
correcting upper strut bearings.  Many of the Roundel vendors have this
stuff.  There are several BMW dealers who advertise in the Roundel -- they
can get the strut bearings for you.  Try BMP Design and Turner Motorsport
for the other stuff.  Eurasian has good prices on the Bilstein shocks.

With the above setup, you will end up with about 1.5 to 2 degrees negative
camber in the front.  The R1s will give you the rest of the camber you need.

If you like messing around with shock adjustments, substitute the single
adjustable Konis for the Bilsteins (roughly the same price).  If you have a
lot of disposable income, get the double adjustable Konis.  If the car is
for autocross/track only and you want the suspension even stiffer, get the
Eibach Road Race springs (or Turner Motorsports' special E30 M3 track
springs).

Start with the rear swaybar set full soft.  You'll reduce a lot of the
inherent understeer just by changing the suspension components.

Just remember, the stiffer you get the suspension so that the car performs
better on the autocross course or track, the more uncomfortable it's going
to be on the street.  You'll have to find the setup that gives you the best
compromise depending on how stiff a ride you're willing to accept on the
street.

Bob Stommel
Hoosier Chapter
Indianapolis