Service Indicator Lights <E30>

     I'm ready to tackle the notorious Service Indicator Light problem. My
     lights are all on whenever the engine is running; other gauges
     unaffected so far. I've checked the FAQ's but still have a couple of
     questions. I'd appreciate any guidance you all can give me.

     1. All the info in the FAQ's seems to be at least five years old.
     Has anyone looked into possible advantages of using lithium
     batteries rather than rechargeables to simplify this system?

     2.  I would just as soon do away with the indicator lights. Can you just
     leave them disconnected? I realize the batteries still need to be
     maintained. Without the lights, how would you know when your batteries
     have failed? Would any reset procedure still be needed? Any other
     ramifications of disconnecting the lights?

     Thanks for any help or recommendations.

     Bob Fluharty  -   87 325is   -   Cincinnati OH