There is no y2k issue with ECU chips!

Rodd: The y2k issues discussed in the press release you forwarded to
the digest are related to the computers (PCs, mini, or mainframes) BMW
uses for inventory, invoicing, general business operations, whatever -
NOT the ECU inside cars! The ECU doesn't know, and moreover, doesn't
care, what day of the week or what month, much less, what year it is.
Think about it - why would it care? Is it going to change the amount
of fuel it has the injectors squirt for a given amount of air because
today is Wednesday? The only way the ECU cares about time at all is
relative to the position of the crank to time the injection & ignition
sequence. The clock/date function of the OBC uses the date & year, but
only for display purposes. Really Rodd, is this FUD (fear,
uncertainty, & doubt) designed to somehow persuade the less
knowledgable that some chips are Y2K compliant or is it that you don't
have the least clue as to how chips work - which is it? I notice you
seem to single out Jim for his chips - you don't seem too worried
about Dinan, Authority, or the others - maybe an axe to grind?

P.S. While I certainly don't compare to the incomparable JimC in EFI
knowledge, I do have a b.s. in computer engineering along with 10
years working in the computer field as an engineer for the #1 US pc
manufacturer, among others. I am qualified to make the statements I've
made - I know how the processor that controls the ECU works, I've
written code for a processor from the same family, I've looked at
(disassembled) the code that controls the ECU (both BMW's and Jim's)
to see how they differ. Please - don't reply with any comments
questioning my ability to make the blanket pronouncement I've made -
unless you have some credentials or experience you haven't shared with
us?

Stop the FUD - It's as bad as your spam!

Barrett N.
barrett.nicholas@domain.elided
Houston, Texas
BMWCCA# 130,000
'95 325i - CeeKay, the SuperCar

>Thought Bimmerwads would be interested in the following. I wonder if the
>Y2K solution outlined includes ALL of the embedded "Chips" in ALL of the
>BMW's currently on the road.=20
>
>Another ???? For Mr Conforti?? Are ALL of your modofied ECU's "Chips" =
Y2K
>compliant OR will ALL of these BMW's cease running on   1-1-2000 ??? =
Food
>for thought. As of today we have 500 days left to decide.  =
Mummmmmmmmmmmmmmm