<E30><M3>Hard Starting Problem...the continuing saga

>Date: Fri, 14 Aug 98 08:23:18 -0800
>From: qarey_at_reynosa@domain.elided
>Subject: <E30><M3>Hard Starting Problem...the continuing saga
>
>Good morning fellow Digesters...
>
>I'm still having a hard start problem with this car...some specifics...
>
>1990 M3 (S14 engine); 49K miles
>
>Symptoms:  Starting capability has deteriorated over the last 10K miles.  No
>difference in cold or hot starts.  It can catch on the first crank, but
usually
>takes 5-6 (as many as 10) attempts to get it to catch and fire up.  Runs
>perfectly after started.  10K miles ago it started on first, possibly 2nd
crank
>each and every time.

I had a similar problem with a Posrche (sorry, it was before I saw the
light). It turned out to be a leaky injector. After a few hours enough fuel
would drip into the cylinder that it wouldn't start until I had cranked it
enough to flush out the fuel. Took me about a month to find it and even
then it was by accident. I pulled the spark plugs for the umpteenth time
and was greeted by that sweet gasoline smell. Disconnected the coil,
cranked it over and watched all that gas spew out.

I don't know much about BMW's having just bought my first a month ago so YMMV.

Good Luck,

David

End of bmw-digest V9 #68