<E30><M3>Hard Starting Problem...the continuing saga

Good morning fellow Digesters...

I'm still having a hard start problem with this car...some specifics...

1990 M3 (S14 engine); 49K miles

Symptoms:  Starting capability has deteriorated over the last 10K miles.  No
difference in cold or hot starts.  It can catch on the first crank, but usually
takes 5-6 (as many as 10) attempts to get it to catch and fire up.  Runs
perfectly after started.  10K miles ago it started on first, possibly 2nd crank
each and every time.

Recent replacements:  fuel filter; distributor cap; rotor; correct Bosch
sparkplugs; MBE main relay (said to be intermittent).

I'm a little beyond my trouble shooting capabilities here, but hate to just take
the car to the shop and say "do it", as I've had it "done" to me in the past.

I'm told that there are two fuel pumps in this model, could there be some
correlation between the symptoms and either of the pumps?  Or some missing
control signal from the "brain" that could be confusing the fuel system?

Only have coil and plug wires left in the ignition system that are original.  In
my experience, failures in these items usually manifest themselves in higher
rpm, or driving mode, not starting.

So...thanks in advance for the help.

Paul Lonnquist
McAllen, TX