<E36> battery level check

OK, call me cautious, but I couldn't figure out how to open my battery
to enter more water...
Got the battery out OK, but after trying to gently pry open the cover
(the part that the six plastic "plugs" are located, not the entire lid),
things did not seem to want to budge (without bending) so I stopped
trying prying....  Do the six plugs screw out? Tried to move them but
they seemed rather intent on staying where they were... and I did not
have a properly-sized tool to rotate them, in any event...
Am I daft? Likely. Some fatherly advice on safely opening the battery
without doing mortal damage to it would be most appreciated...

Humbly, and spell-checked,

Murray
97 318i