<E30> eta engine in 318i?

I did a similer conversion, only it was an '87 325i engine into an '85
325e.  Your cars harness is similer to the '85, ti has a rectangualr
connector for the engine harness to connect to, the '88 has a big round
one.  You'll need to get  the big round one from the '88's chassis
harness, and graft it onto your '84 318i harness.  On the '85, most of
the colors were the same, but a few were different.  I can dig up my
info on what connects to what from home, but you should reference the ETMs
for the '84 318i, and '88 325e to be sure.

The '88 325e motor is the best 'e' motor to go with, because later you can
swap a 325i head onto it, and a 325i chip, and you have a 2.7L 'i' motor!

As for the driveshaft, just use the one from the 325.  You will definitely
want the differential from the 325, as the 325, as the 3.9 in the 318i is
way to low for the 325e engine.

You'll need the 325 engine mounts.  I don't know about the subframe.  You
might need it.  In know with the E21 chassis, the subframe is different
from four to six cyl. cars.

Hope this helps.
J.
'89 325i w/ 15x7 Borbets & Jim C. Chip :-)
'74 2002
'72 2002 (future 325i engine recipient!)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 400 Conv (4spd)
'86 Chevy Pickup (Current Parts hauler and tow vehicle, sold soon)
'82 Chevy C20 Diesel Pickup (New Parts hauler and tow vehicle)
'82 323i (parting out due to terminal rust)

http://www.microserve.net/~jsnyder