<02> fuel return line

I have a 1975 2002 with a leaking fuel return line. I have recently
replaced the gas tank, which was also leaking, and replaced the main
fuel line to the carb. There is a fuel return line which runs from
somewhere in the front engine bay, along the driver's side frame
rail(next to my just replaced pedal box), and back to the gas tank. My
problem is that the return line leaks next to the pedal box. Can I
disconnect this return line?? Is it really necessary?? Where is the fuel
coming from(engine bay, or overflow from the tank)??

TIA,
Jerry Roberson
BMW CCA #157891
1975 2002 #2361460