E24 Factory Seat Options

Ron asked:

>I've come across a `85 635CSi Automatic at one of the local small time car
>lots. It has the powered Recaro seats instead of the standard eight way
>powered luxury seats. How rare is it to find a US spec car with these in
>it. I've owned three US version sixers myself and have been a BMW addict
>for many years. This is actually the first time I've ever seen a 635CSi
>with these seats. Have I just led a sheltered life or are the Recaros
>pretty rare? Would their presence suggest that there is other non-standard
>equipe on the car as being part of a "sport package" or were the seats most
>likely just an individual option that was added?

That was the standard seat that year, later the "flat" seat became the
standard and the sport seat was only in the M6. (We're talking US models
here.)  This seat IS NOT a Recaro, stop calling it that!  Call it a
Recaro-type if you want, but no US 5 or 6 series ever got Recaro seats.
The BMW Sport Seat is what you've seen, same as the E28 535is and M5 and in
manual version, the early 325e and all E30 "s" models.

- -Phil