EVAN! - Lights stay on - PPP OBC Code

>From: eevans@domain.elided
>Subject: Lights stay on - PPPP OBC code?
>
>The headlights stay on when the switch is pushed in and the ignition is off
on
>my E30 325is, any clues? Also in an unrelated matter on another car the OBC
>has
>the PPPP blues. The FAQ says to disconnect the battery and/or press CODE >and
>reset the OBC. What's the cure?
>Thankx
>Evan

Evan,
I've got the cure for you OBC problem, however I have no clue about your
headlights... (wiring, fuses?)  The process to revive you OBC is simple.
** Turn the key to Accessory (Radio, etc.) (Radio and OBC light up but not the
instrument cluster)
** Press the CODE button
** Then push the little reset hole with a ball point pen and hold it
The OBC should then blink and then display a blank time and date... So you
have effectively reset the OBC... This works a WHOLE lot better than
disconnecting the battery, and I've used this technique on my '88 635csi

What you have done is re-adapted the coding plug to the OBC... Usually the
PPPP mode is set off when the car has been "boosted" or some other drastic
voltage changes have occured.

Stephen "BiFF" Smith
Evergreen, CO
'88 635csi (STOCK)