Re: Has this ever happened to you??????

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 Manuel_paredes@domain.elided wrote:
	<snip>
> Is this normal, for a
> battery to konk out at 53k?
	<snip>

Battery life is less a function of mileage and more a function
charge/discharge cycling, assuming that its in perfect operating order
(e.g. cells filled with water, etc.).  53k of daily highway commutes is
alot easier on a battery than 53k of 5 mile commutes once a week with the
alarm left on all that time.  You get the idea.

I don't know where you are, but here in Texas its been hot (probably not
as hot as NY, though --- geez, Brett, I *wish* we had had a NY summer),
and that contributes to battery cell dry-out.  Did you check the water
levels of your old battery (I know its "maintenance-free" -- yeah, right,
just like 9k oil-change intervals are "just fine")?

Anyways, the battery in my '94 525i died about 2 months ago, at about 51k
miles.  I didn't check the water levels, although that would hve been
interesting in hindsight.  Ah, well, sometimes research must be sacrificed
in the name of playing with your children :=).

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX