<All> "Stick-on" wheel weights??

I will be mounting tires on my new-to-me TSW Hocks next week.  While
inspecting (read admiring) the new wheels, I noticed that standard "clip-on"
lead weights had not been used as far as I could tell.  The rims still had
these "stick-on" lead squares that were attached to the centerline of the
rim instead of the normal outboard and inboard rim edge.

Were these "stick-on" squares used to balance the  the tire or were they put
on there by TSW to balance the rim or something?

Assuming they are used to balance the tire...

I would like some feedback and opinions from those who have used or seen
this setup.  There are a few pros that I can see: completely hidden, do not
scratch the wheel (even if they did, it would not matter), impossible to
sling one off at speed (I guess it could just fall off while parked).

My concerns:  I have not seen them before...if they are so great, why is
everyone not using them...do they balance the wheel as good as an in and out
clip-on...

Ron Milliet
McComb,MS