Re: E30 tires too big

From: Grant M. Wells@ECCI on 08/12/98 08:52 AM

Rick,

The first figure to look at is overall diameter.  I run 245/45/16s.
They fit with some creative fender work like removing inner liners,
fender lip mods, etc.

I not advocating this for the street, but if you wanted to you could make
some large sizes work.  The most important thing is the overall diameter.
The 245/45s are 24.5 inches.  I have about 0.2 inches of clearance from the
fender lip to the tire.  With that tight clearance, I have the proper
spring/shock rates to match.

Anyway, the 225/55 tires you had were not a good choice since the 55
profile
is what did you in.  A 225/45 would fit nicely.

Just one of those homework things we all forget to do on occassion that
costs
us money and we don't forget again.

Enjoy those new suspension tweaks.

Grant
gwells@domain.elided
'87 325is w/2.9l M50 & '88 M3 underpinnings