Trick Wheel Balancing

>Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:57:54 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Garrick Louie <garrickl@domain.elided>
>Subject: Balancing
>
>Do any of you folks know of any good shops that REALLY KNOW how to balance
>high performace wheels (ie; 17/18 inch wheels).

Garrick,

What you wanna do is find a shop that has a Hunter GSP 9700 tire balancer.
These are state-of-the-art and are to wheel balancing what Sharon Stone is
to a police interview room.  Kinda rare as they are expensive, they are so
trick that you can specify WHERE you want the weights on the wheel, plus it
pressures or tensions the tire at speed while on the machine.  For more go to:

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4127t.htm

Call the Hunter Rep in your area by going to:

http://www.hunter.com/pub/company/FINDREP2.HTM

The Hunter Rep will then tell you where you can find a shop with this
machine.  In the Washington DC area, Curry's Automotive in Chantilly, VA
has one.  I'm sure there are some on the West Coast as well.  All my tires
run out PERFECT since I've starting taking them to Curry's.

Note that it's usually the TIRE that is all wacked - not the wheel. S-02
Bridgies balance up near perfect with very little weight on a good wheel.
BFG R1's are wayyyyyyy bad when it comes to eating weights. Helps to make
sure the ding-dong mounting the tire on the wheel puts the low spot
(typically marked with a colored dot on the sidewall) over the valve core
on the wheel. Most tire jockeys rarely do this unless you stand over them.

Duane Collie
Smilin' Vulture Racing
///Team Bubba / UUC / NCC