<E-28> Fuel delivery problem?

My 533i '84 has a problem.   I was on the freeway yesterday.  I was
accelerating to go over the hill and suddenly rpm dropped and car slowed
down.  I exited freeway and barely got home using city streets.  As long as
tachometer stayed under about 2000 car engine was OK.  If I had to increase
RPM, engine would  loose power, but not died.  I thought it was plugged
fuel filter.  I got a new one in.  I blew air trough the old filter, air
would go trough but not without being restricted.  I took car around a
block - no problems.  Next morning drove to work - no problems.  Problem
solved!!!  Not so fast.  This afternoon I was getting back to work from
lunch brake, engine started doing it again.  This time I was not on a
freeway, I was simply accelerating.  Do I have really bad tank of gas (I
always use Chevron Supreme) or either of my fuel pumps are going bad?  Does
any body have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Sasha.
533i, 216K, BMW CCA #143384