SF Bay Area Bimwads Beware -- Dealer Fun & Games

Allison BMW (SF Bay Area) is presently on its fourth  (at least of which I'm
aware) service manager since last January; no surprise there, judging by my
recent experience(s) -- it's got to be those 3 years (or 36,000 miles) of
"free" service that's bringing anyone in the door of their service dept.

I've done business with Allison's service dept since 1995.  Up until this
year, all experiences were satisfactory (and, some better than that).  But,
I guess all things come to an end ...

Last January, I received some miserable service on my 97 M3, and a fair
amount of b.s. to excuse the same (immediately after the prior service
manger left).  When I tried to discuss these problems with the service rep
who wrote the order, he told me the service department was undergoing a
massive reorganization; it was his last day; and, I would be best off
waiting for the new service manager to arrive (they had a temp at the time),
and then speak with him.

I did.  A few weeks later, the new service manager and I spoke about my
previous experience.  He was reasonable, concerned, and responsive --
previous problems would be taken care of when I next brought my car in.  All
seemed OK.

About a month ago, my car told me it was time for its first Inspection 1;
and, I scheduled the service on the first available date, 10-14 days later
(this is the SF Bay Area -- such delays are the norm).  The dealers here
schedule service drop-offs at specified times, so one need not wait until a
service rep is available.  I arrived at the appointed time, and after
waiting a half hour gave up and left.

I spoke with the service manager that afternoon.  He apologized; suggested
that I drop off in the evenings, when things are less hectic.  Told me that
they have a service rep and tech there until 9 p.m.; and, scheduled a 7 p.m.
drop off the following week.

At 6 p.m. on the scheduled day, I telephoned to confirm because I didn't
receive a reminder call the day before (as I had in the past).  Was told
forget it -- service closed at 7 p.m. (no one stays until 9 p.m.).  What
about the service manager -- oh yeah, he quit.

But, the rep I spoke with said he would stay if I hustled down.  Brief
aside -- this rep, Rennie Christian, was/is first rate.  Best BMW service
rep I've worked with -- although not necessarily most knowledgeable, very
customer oriented and easy to work with.  If any of you are doing business
with Allison's service department, he is the guy to work with.
(Incidentally, he told me the new/current service manager is a pretty
reasonable guy to work with -- if his approach is similar to Rennie's, which
it sounded like it might be, there may be some hope left).  But, Rennie (and
the new service "director" have a serious problem to overcome -- Allison's
shop.

I've run my M3 on Lubro-Moly Full Synthetic for the last 6,500+ miles (right
on, Carl).  When I initially scheduled the Inspection 1, I asked if the
"free" service would include synthetic oil -- I was told no;  bring my own,
or pay ($60+) for BMW's.  So I brought my car in with 6.5 liters of
Lubro-Moly; and, the service order specifically stated "Use Customer's Oil",
and specified its location.  (The service order also stated "Do Not Wash
Car" -- more on that later).

I got the car back on Friday evening; and, on Saturday evening learned that
there was no Lubro Moly in the engine -- dino juice instead (different
color, smell, and flow when cold).  And, of course, the Lubro Moly I brought
the car in with was not in the car.  So, I brought the car back this
morning.  At first, Rennie checked with the tech that worked on my car; and,
assured me that he used my oil -- he even brought out almost a liter of my
unused oil to show me that the rest went into the car.  I showed him that
the stuff in the engine was different than the unused oil and explained that
if the tech used my oil, there would be none left (the engine takes all the
of 6.5 liters I provided -- yes, it was filled up to the full notch on the
dipstick); and, the service record reflected 7 quarts of BMW 15/40 dino
juice was used.  Rennie then agreed to drain the stuff they put in, and
replace it with BMW synthetic (with a new filter) this afternoon while I
waited (and watched).

But, we're not done yet boys and girls:  Brought the car back, and the
Rennie got me in and out within a half hour (this guy really is OK).  But,
while I watched another tech do the oil change, I saw him put in 6 quarts
and then close up.  I asked him about the last quart (the engine takes 7),
and he said he put in 7.  When I told him I was counting, and he only put in
6, he pulled all the empties out and counted them (twice) -- only 6.  He
still didn't believe that he only put in 6, so he then started the car, ran
it a bit, and checked the dipstick to confirm that it was a quart low (which
it was).  He then got the last quart, and put it in; and, Rennie came out
and explained that the foreman preferred that I leave the shop area (which I
did with the car, wondering whether it would have been returned a quart low
if I wasn't there),

Query:  I've been running Lubro-Moly 5/40 wt -- the only weight it comes in.
The factory recommends 15/40 wt for the summer operating temps out here.
But, the BMW Synthetic was 5/30 wt -- tech said it only came in that weight.
Any opinions as to whether the 5/30 wt is likely to cause problems -- I
ordered some more Lubro-Moly today, and will drain/refill again if
advisable.

Allison has a mini car wash (rotating brushes/flaps), which they run
customers' car through after service.  I don't believe in car washes -- no
intent to start any thread or flame war; but, my paint thanks me for this
policy on a daily basis for years.  So, I told Rennie -- no car wash, and he
wrote the service order accordingly.  (He laughed and told me that when he
asked the previous customer if she wanted her car washed, she asked how much
it would cost; and, when he said there was no charge, she wanted to know why
he asked.  He wasn't surprised that I didn't want my car washed -- he told
me that most M3 owners don't).

Of course, they washed my car.  When I mentioned this to Rennie this morning
(in the context of:  What's the point of writing special instructions in the
service order, when the shop does the work the same way regardless), he was
surprised because he specifically told their "QC" guy not to wash the car
when the service was complete; but, he wondered mentioned that he thought it
was peculiar that the tires were freshly dressed, when he delivered the car
(it came in clean, so no surprise when it left the same).  Unfortunately,
the car "acquired" what is almost a crease (i.e., a ripple) in the sheet
metal (visible when sighting down the side of the car) below the rear left
window after I brought it in on Thursday for which I am sure I have the car
wash to thank (the car sat in my garage all weekend, awaiting its return
today).  Nothing to do about it though -- its not bad enough to warrant
attempts at repairs, that may render it more troublesome.

Lew Becker