Re: Re: bmw-digest V9 #39Robert Wrote:

Robert Wrote:

>Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 10:43:20 -0500
>From: Robert  T Chafin <rtchafin@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: bmw-digest V9 #39Robert Wrote:

>Correct me if I'm wrong (of course) but a catalyzed reaction doesn't
>require the same high temperatures that a "naturally" occurring one does.
>Englehard worked with other companies besides just Volvo on this
>misbegotten catalyzing radiator idea, including my former employer (name
>withheld to protect the sane). The technology worked, in a manner of
>speaking,  but the cost per car and the benefit per city just didn't
>justify it.

I am not familiar with the actaul process or experiment that Volvo and the
others performed, but based on the post that I read, the reaction was caused
by the Platinum getting very "Hot".

Basically the two most common ways to destroy ozone are as follows:

1. Thermally.
2. Catalytic Reaction.

1.  To thermally destroy ozone (e.g. Low Watt Density Electric Heater), you
need to be at a minimum of 370F, we generally run our units to 600F to
obtain the efficiencies that we need.

2.  To destroy ozone by catalytic reaction, you would use a manganese
dioxide catalyst.  As this begins to speed up the reaction back to Oxygen,
it creates an exothermal reaction, creating more heat in you catalyst bed
and increasing the efficiency of the reaction.

A less common way to destroy ozone is GAC Granulalar Activated Carbon, the
problem with this is that it becomes depleted during the reaction and ozone
breakthrough is always a possibility with the concentrations that our
processes deal with.  Besides, some Really nasty stuff can be formed if the
right mix of gases passes through the GAC bed.

Of course, you can destroy ozone by doing nothing at all and letting the
natural half life convert it back to oxygen, but at that rate it may be
toooooo late R.I.P.

I am not familiar with Platinum as an Ozone catalyst, (although it is used
for other applications HC, etc.), possibly because it is not the most cost
effective way to do it it isn't popular in my applications.

Regards,
Anthony
http://www.ozonia.com