RE: E30 M3 Compression Ratio

Jose,

What you wanted to learn was your compression "ratio".  What your
mechanic provided to you was the compression in each cylinder.  There is
a big difference between the two measurements.  A compression ratio has
no "units", but it's a ratio of the largest to the smallest volume that
the combustion chamber can have.

The compression is a pressure measurement, and the units are pounds per
square inch (psi) in the USA, or bar (in your part of the world).  It's
a measure of how much pressure is developed in each cylinder during the
compression stroke.

It's been awhile since I had to think about converting measurements like
this (Physics class, 1980), but I believe that:

1 BAR = 1 atmosphere (1 atmosphere = 14.70000 lb/sq in)

So, for your car,

13.75 atmospheres = 202.12500 lb/sq in
13.25 atmospheres = 194.77500 lb/sq in
13.50 atmospheres = 198.45000 lb/sq in

(I'm no f**king genius.  These conversions provided by:
http://microimg.com/science/pressure_equiv.html)

That's good!  But it doesn't mean that your compression ratio is
13.xx:1.

To determine the compression ratios, a very accurate measurement of each
combustion chamber needs to take place.  I believe that this is done by
using a liquid to fill the cylinder when the piston is at it's maximum
downstroke, and again when it's at it's maximum top stroke.  The ratio
between these two combustion chamber volume measurements will determine
the _true_ compression ratio of each cylinder in your engine.  (If, for
example, at the top of the compression stroke, the combustion chamber
volume is 10.2 times smaller than the volume at maximum downstroke, the
compression ratio is 10.2:1 for that cylinder).

Or, you can look it up in the owner's manual and be done with it! ;-)

- -rb