E-28 Speedo problems

My 1985 528e has been experiencing some problems with the spedometer and
related componants recently.   I had ben rear ended in my car about a
month ago.  Aftre the accident everything worked fine, however the next
day the spedometer, odometer, MPG guages and the cruise control did not
work.   The next day, these worked fine and did until yesterday, when,
I believe they went out for good.  I checked the connection for the
spedometer at the transmission and it seems to be connected OK (if I am
looking at the correct one).  Any suggestions what to check??