Re: SI reset tool information

I've always used the simple SI reset tool that was described in a past
Roundel.  It uses a 35mm film container to hold the one component, a
momentary contact (non-latching) switch.  Attached to the switch are two
wires, eight feet long, and alligator clips.  Banana plugs would be a
better choice, but I didn't have them laying around.

With the ignition key off, connect the alligator clips to pins 1 and 7
(I have an E30 318i).  Then, while holding the reset tool, go into the
car and turn the ignition key to the 'on' position.  Press and hold the
button until the SI display resets.  That's it.

Oh, on the one occasion where I couldn't find the reset tool, a piece of
14AWG wire (the stuff that is used for home electrical circuits) did the
job.

I'm amazed at the amount of time that has been expended on this topic
recently.  I must admit, though, that it's been more interesting reading
than the recent diatribe (aka Drive for the Cure) about the reckless kid
who took mommy for a drive in a 323ic.  zzzzzz......

- -rb