M cars worth the money

George wrote,

I must agree with you that owning a "M" badge is the ultimate goal for
"most/some" BMW owners...myself included, but up to 10k...I think for
performance and driving, someone could do better. Before we get into
this,
lets say a E36 325is vs M3. I will talk performance first. You said
better
suspension...for $3,000 a person could add adjustable coil-overs, sway
bars,
X-brace, and a strut brace. You said better motor and torque...must be
talking about performance, so for $5,000 a person could add a turbo
putting
out...lets say 265hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. Now he/she is up to
$8000...so
for shits and giggles, they sell their tires and buy a set of fiske
FM-5/10
and some R1s...let say $2,000. Now they are at what you paid for your
M3. I
personally think they would have a better performing car.....more hp,
torque, and suspension. Yes, an "M" car probably has a better resale
value,
but he/she could probably eat out once in a while if you factor in
insurance.
        Now, instead of all this upgrade performance stuff, he/she left
it stock
(189hp). Then took the extra money (6-10k) and bought a full rollcage,
helmet, 2 each-harnesses and hard bolted the seats, rotors and brakes
and
more tires. Then went to every drivers school that they could attend.
Now,
who do you think would perform better on the track?
        I know that if you buy a "M" car and start to modify it or
yourself, he/she
"might" not be able to touch you or your "M" car. But if we just talking

what you paid vs what they paid plus their extra $$$ savings, he/she
could
easily come out ahead.

   George, you have some salient points here.  Fortunately, there is
only
6K to play with in the E36 325(8) vs ///M3 scenario you used. You only
get
10K if you're making a five series comparo! So, you'll have to pick your

mod's wisely! Fortunately for me, I purchased my M car used, and I did
forget to mention that that's the best way to avoid the brunt of the 6K
or
so difference. For me, the M badge is a heritage, a bond if you will,
with
the great racers and races of yore, and I am happy to own a part of it.
 Call me stubborn, but I'd still take the M car, cause I am gonna add
the mods,
whether it be sooner or later.
   BTW, I agree the fastest car and driver would likely be the person
with a
few mods (say chip and R1's) and the rest of the $$$$ spent on track
time!

 George continues,
This is just my opion <sic>cause I think no BMW series is better than
the other.

Yes. As Eric Mccoy wrote in his story of the Ultimate drive, one need
not
not have an M car to have fun in a BMW.    However, "if you have the
means,
I highly suggest you pick one up."
   Mark Williams
   Lafayette, IN