The Politics of MTBE

I'll make a rare post under my employer's e-mail address.  Yes, I work for
the EPA.  Does everybody hate me now?  ; >

First, I want to thank Tim for an excellent synopsis on MTBE and CARB.
He is absolutely correct.

Tim writes:

"The State of California and/or CARB does NOT, repeat, DOES NOT
require the use of MTBE OR ANY OTHER OXYGENATE.  Refiners are
free to use whatever they want (there are SEVERAL additives they can
use) as long as they meet emission standards (tailpipe, evap, etc.).
HOWEVER, the FEDERAL government REQUIRES the use of an
"oxygenate" in our (CA) fuels to lower emissions.  They do NOT require
the use of MTBE nor does ANY government body in the nation."
- --------
You can substitute EPA for FEDERAL <g>  Or maybe Congress.
Congress passed the Clean Air Act and EPA implemented the
requirements.  And yes, one of the requirements is reformulated gasoline
in many areas of the country.  OXYGENATED gasoline is similar but not
exactly the same as REFORMULATED gasoline.  Oxygenated fuel was
originally used in the winter in mostly high attitude locations.  It reduced
winter time air pollution, CO I think.  It was used/required for several
years before reformulated gasoline was required.  I don't think pure
oxygenated fuel is used any more.  Reformulated gas is now used year
round.

MTBE is used in reformulated gasoline because it is the cheapest.  The
EPA did try to require oil companies to use a certain percentage of
ethanol fuel.  Politics perhaps?  You have to remember there is a strong
farm lobby from the Midwestern states' Senators/Congressmen and I am
sure ADM does its share of lobbying too.  Anyway, the EPA was sued
by the oil companies and the MTBE producers.  EPA lost.  So, EPA can
not mandate ethanol or MTBE usage.  EPA simply requires the fuel to
meet certain oxygenated standards and the oil companies are free to
choose how they comply.

Tim writes:

"The problem with MTBE, as many of you know, is that it is EXTREMELY
difficult to remove from groundwater, soil, etc.  This was not known
before its introduction.  BTW, MTBE has been in California fuels for
nearly 20 YEARS!  It is not a new additive....Most of the flame war was
brought on by the press when CA used MTBE "year-round" instead of
just in it's "winter fuels".
- ---------
Since 1979 - nearly 20 years by my calculation!

<snip>

Tim writes:

"Another problem is leaking underground storage tanks.  Although this is
not my area of expertise, I believe all UST's are to be replaced with
double walled tanks with leak detection by the end of the year (that's
why many of you Californian's are seeing closed gas stations with big
holes in the ground)."
- ----------
HUGE problem.  Oil refineries in California are spending millions of dollars
to clean up their sites.  Sadly true about gas stations closing.  There may
never again be many "Mom & Pop" corner gas stations.  EPA requires
expensive double lined tanks and liability insurance coverage in case of
a spill.  Most small gas stations don't have the money to buy the
insurance.  My parents live in a rural part of Iowa.  There is only one
place to buy gas in the whole county.  And it closes at 5:00 pm.  I almost
ran out of gas one night driving home to my parents.  I had to drive 25
miles out of my way to the nearest "big" town for gas.  Living in Dallas, I
forget gas is not available 24 hours-a-day and on every street corner in
rural areas.

Tim writes:

"The main point I am trying to get across is that the refiners decide on
what to use, CARB gave them that flexibility.  Although the federal
govt. requires an "oxygenate" to be used, the refiners have several to
choose from.  MTBE was simply the cheapest and most readily
available."
- -----------
I agree.

No flames please, I am just trying to "clear the air" (sorry for the
pun).
- ---------
I like your pun :)

But I don't like MTBE either.  I would love to see a better solution than
using MTBE.  I want cleaner air and I know everybody else does too.
Unfortunately, there is a price to pay.  I don't have an easy answer.

I am hoping that MTBE will be phased out soon.   I learned that MTBE is
really only effective at reducing pollution in older cars without oxygen
sensors and computerized engine management.  That really means just
old carbureted cars.  Virtually every well tuned fuel injected car gets no
improvement.  So we are paying the price for the few old carbureted
cars left on the roads.

I hate the smell of MTBE gas and it cuts my gas mileage by 10-15%,
contrary to EPA's own reports of a 1-2% loss in fuel economy.  I used to
always fill my car up outside of Dallas when I traveled until somebody on
the Digest called me a hypocrite.

Don't flame me!  Write your Congressmen!  See you on the Digest,

Lowell Seaton
'95 M3
BMWCCA #131505
Dallas, Texas