The Politics of MBTE

First, it is MTBE.  I am very familiar with CARB and the MTBE issue, so
let me fill you in, and clarify a few issues...(Don't confuse my
personal views with that of my employer, its just a job!)

The State of California and/or CARB does NOT, repeat, DOES NOT require
the use of MTBE OR ANY OTHER OXYGENATE.  Refiners are free to use
whatever they want (there are SEVERAL additives they can use) as long as
they meet emission standards (tailpipe, evap, etc.).  HOWEVER, the
FEDERAL governement REQUIRES the use of an "oxygenate" in our (CA) fuels
to lower emissions.  They do NOT require the use of MTBE nor does ANY
governement body in the nation.

The problem with MTBE, as many of you know, is that it is EXTREMELY
difficult to remove from groundwater, soil, etc.  This was not known
before its introduction.  BTW, MTBE has been in California fuels for
nearly 20 YEARS!  It is not a new additive....Most of the flame war was
brought on by the press when CA used MTBE "year-round" instead of just
in it's "winter fuels".

Why do we now know MTBE is "bad" and hard to clean up, and that some
watersheds and wells have it?  Because CARB asked the State Water
Resources Control Board to test for it-- to see if "GAS" and MTBE were
making their way into our watershed.  Yes, it is..However, no "safe, or
unsafe, limit" has been determined as of yet.  Most of this
contamination from MTBE (note that the other 50 or so CARCINOGENS in gas
are also there) is from 2-stroke motors (boats and personal watercraft)
that emit about 25-30% of the fuel out of the exhaust UNBURNT (the
nature of a 2-stroke).  Thus, lots of gas are going into our waters and
you are starting to see several counties and Park and Rec. districts
outlaw 2-strokes on their waters.

Another problem is leaking underground storage tanks.  Although this is
not my area of expertise, I belive all UST's are to be replaced with
double walled tanks with leak detection by the end of the year (that's
why many of you Californian's are seeing closed gas stations with big
holes in the ground).

I could go on...but won't...Write me if you would like to clarify and
concerns, etc.  I would be happy to write back..It's just that working
close to the issue, and knowing what is REALLY going on, I hate to see
people mislead by others, etc.

Please do not accept this note from me in any official capacity it is
merely what I have learned and I thought I would pass it on and clarify
a few misconceptions.  This note is to be considered as follows:
copyright 1998, Tim Gergen

The main point I am trying to get accross is that the refiners decide on
what to use, CARB gave them that flexibility.  Although the federal
govt. requires an "oxygenate" to be used, the refiners have several to
choose from.  MTBE was simply the cheapest and most readily available.

No flames please, I am just trying to "clear the air" (sorry for the
pun).

95 M3 Avus/Dove--Bilsteins, H&R, x-brace, struct tower brace, euro
intake, sharked, clear lights, blue ion headlights, and white gague
faces (finally did it!).