Re: Trailing E36

Without rehashing all the comments back and forth, it should be noted that
there are good and bad ways to tie down an E36.

You can tie it down by the wheels.  The key is that the wheel must be pulled
DOWN, not forward, across or sideways.  Most car (personal) trailers don't
have the tiedowns right under the wheels, so they instead pass a harness
around the tire and then pull it forward until the winch can't tighten any
more.  Not surprisingly, (from personal experience) this can have very
adverse effects on wheel alignment.

The really wrong way is to pass a strap around a suspension piece (control
arm or something even smaller).  This stuff wasn't designed for lateral
loads, and will bend/break (rather expensively).

I still say the easiest and best method (and is noted in BMW materials and
recommended by at least one dealer that I know) is to use T-hooks.  No
fudging with straps, alignment stays correct, and reduced suspension
movement.

Do what you want, but I agree with doctors Potheau, Tunnell, Buckland and
many others.

D. Snyder