Brake bleeding stuff

Just before last weekend's driver's school, I had to have my
car (98 M3) inspected and decided to have the shop also
bleed my brakes; I somehow felt that going only for the free tech
inspection wouldn't be fair (then again, I'm still recovering after
having to pay $80+ for brake bleeding).

I have been following the digest for a while now and will sure
start working on the brakes myself pretty soon.  Usually, folks
talk about special tools needed, pressure or suction.  Here's
the question: I've watched the mechanic do what he called
"gravitational bleeding."  That means no tools were used; he
got rid of the old fluid from the tank, toped it off with the fresh
fluid, then placed the fluid bottle upside-down in the tank so
that it continuously refill it.  He then went to each caliper and
loosened up the nipple letting the fluid drip until it changed
color.  Now, besides having to spend an hour in the process
and also making a complete mess around the brake fluid tank
in the engine compartment, is this procedure safe?

Silviu Marghescu