RE: Need help in Lone Star Chapter Area -- rusty gas tank

Ha, finally a use for J.C. Whitney! No flames, please, but on an RX7 I
owned, the salvage yard gas tank I purchased had the requisite rust inside.
A friend who works for a metal plating shop was kind enough to dunk it in a
tank of nasty chemicals to clean it out (any good radiator shop should be
able to do the same with the tank they use for cleaning radiators).

I then purchased a can of stuff (_don't_ inhale) from J.C. Whitney that
coats the inside of the tank, sealing off any remaining junk and spray
painted the outside (semi-gloss black would have been right on the RX7).

If you wish to buy it, they have various levels for various types of gas
mixtures (ethanol resistant, etc.). I think I got the ethanol resistant
stuff for about $26 plus ground shipping (too flammable for air shipment).
If you're interested in going this route, I have about 3/4 of a can sitting
in my garage, and would be happy to be rid of it for shipping costs, as I
doubt my wife would allow me to buy any car I might need it for (I only lost
about $2000 on the RX7).

If you want someone to take care of the whole mess, shops that work on
restoring vintage cars/motorcycles often have experience with

I also had recommendations of using citric acid (couldn't find easily), ball
bearings, or high-pressure water to clean out the tank.

Tim Irwin
'89 323 (Mazda)
looking for a '94 325i