Re: Dinan Cold Air Intake - opinions

> I am considering purchasing a Dinan Cold Air intake for my 94 325is and
> would like some feedback from anyone who has used it.
> Some of the questions I am hoping to have answered are:

>    Is there any "REAL" performance gain?

I have a stage 1 Dinan 328i with "all" the Dinan goodies;
suspension,intake,chip,exhaust, etc.
In my opinion, if you were just adding the cold air intake, you might pick
up 5 hp.  I don't think that you would notice anything with a butt dino.
Some say they can tell, but I think the sound is what makes you feel like
there is an improvement.

>    How does it compare against a standard cone w/ a heat shield?

I do believe that Dinan's approach to using a K&N filtercharger is better
than the standard cone / heatshield  method.  With Dinan. the filter is out
of the engine compartment, below the left headlight and above the fog light
and brake duct.  It makes for a clean looking engine compartment.

>    How was the installation?

Installation can be very difficult to impossible with out the right tools.
What makes this so hard is the necessity to drill 2 holes into the frame of
the car and the removal of one of the horn mounts.  Forget a using a
standard drill, too big for this job.  I used a Dremel Tool with a drill bit
and various grinding tips.  Best be real careful here;  If you get the holes
too big the required nut-serts won't fit and then you're in deep trouble.

>    Is it much louder than the stock airbox?

The cold air intake is mildly louder until 5500 RPM, then it's gonna scare
you.  First time I goosed it to 5500 getting on the freeway, I thought
something had broke.  This thing makes an almost unnatural sound after 5500,
like a vibrating buzz.  The engine is gasping for air and still can't get
enough.  The 325 engine with longer intake runners will probably sound a lot
different.

DaveLehmann@domain.elided