E30 Overheating -- any advice?

Just returned from a trip in my '85 325E through Eastern WA, where temps
reached 108 degrees.  The car would not stay cool.  I was forced to open the
windows and run the defroster on full heat every so often to keep the gauge
reading at just over 1/2.  As soon as the heater was turned off, the temp.
rose to 3/4, and a few times slipped over that mark.  If I even dared turn
on the AC -- weak soul that I am, it sounded like a pleasant idea -- the
temp. rode at an even faster rate.  Average speed was 65-75 mph, and of
course, the temp. rose more quickly when going uphill.

I had the oil changed just a few days ago (10W-30), and had the plugs, water
pump, timing belt and fan clutch replaced about 5 months ago.   I've read
about a number of ETA's being rebuilt, and am having catastrophic fantasies.
The engine has 130 K miles on it.

Any sage advice on possible fixes for this problem?

Thanks,

David