Ethanol in '95 540ia

Just returned from a 3000 mile trip to Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota via
Chicago.on way back. I was watching the OBC for the MPG as the engine in
the '95 54ia was just replaced June 1 and was very curios to see if the MPG
would improve.

On way North and until I arrived in Minnesota the car got 24.5 mpg on 93
octrane, mostly on interstate roads, Because of no choice in Western MN, 92
octane was put in tank and it contained 10% ethanol, and again later in
week.  Very little city driving as there is not much other then corn and
soy beans in Comfrey MPG dropped to 22.

No problems in Northern Wisconsin with next tank full of Shell 93 and MPG
returned to 24 over mostly interstate and more city type driving. Stayed in
Chicago area 10 days and refilled 3 times of various brands and all 93
octane containg ethanol.  Pumps did not say the % but were marked with some
clean burning type B.S.  Not only did the performance drop and the mpg was
poor the engine did not start on the first click.

Seems all the counties surrounding the Chicago area. including the Indiana
and Wisconsin  must sell only ethanol "fortified " fuel for clean burning.
So that means the engines run more on more fuel for improved air quality?
Am I not thinking right.

Since getting out of the  area the MPG is back to what it should be and the
motor starts on the first click.. I paid $1.459 for Silver Amoco  93 in
Illlinois on 7/23 and yesterday Phillips 93 was $0.959 at exit #5, I- 26
near Landrum, SC. So if you travel this way to O'fest this month  refuel in
SC or GA. No ethanol at most stations.  Some Conoco truck stops have it,
but the pumps are usually marked.

Carl Foerster #20298
Tarheel Chapter
BMW CCA