E36 - 320iCoupe 1994, detection of ball joint wear?

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with this question.  At speed when my 94 E36
320 Coupe hits bad bumps and adverse camber on the road, it feels like
it is pulling to one side.  I had a 87 Golf Gti before, and it did a
similar thing - it was the lower ball joints at fault.  I put the E36 on
a jack and tried to move the front wheels
at the 6 o'clock position - but there is no play at all (that I can tell
by hand).  The inner edge of both front tyres is wearing quite badly,
could it be anything else, or must I suspect the balljoints?

I appreciate anyones input on the subject, as I don't seem to be getting
much help from garages.

Zaffur Malik