shimmy gremlin

I own a 1992 325i I have a few anyoing problems with it one of the
beeing the "Shimmy Gremlin". Sometimes(not always) when I drive above 60
km/h the steering shacking back and forth (left to right). Also somtimes
(not always again) when I press on the brake pedal the steering whewl
will shake, the brake phenomenon is a new "gremlin". I don't believe
it's due to unbalanced wheels, I just had an alignment and wheel balance
done 2 months ago. Any Idea what might cause these problems?

JPM
jpm@domain.elided