Advice on which BMW model to buy.

Hi all!
I am considering the purchase of my first BMW.
I currently have an 85 toyota MR2(Which I will be parting with) and an 87
Porsche 944S.
I love my Porsche but I find that its a bit too small for my family. When
you put the car seat in those little back seats it takes up an awful amount
of room. I end up as close to the dash as I can be, with my son kicking me
in the back.(To bad I can't skip the child safety seat and put him in the
car's back seat. Then all would be well!)
So now I'm looking at BMWs. I like(and can afford) the late eighties 325is,
535is, and the 635Csi. I am looking for something to be a DEPENDABLE daily
driver and comfortably seat my whole family. I also want something as
smooth, refined, responsive, and powerful as my 944S.
I know I'm probably opening up a can of worms here but any suggestions/
experiences/ buying tips for the models I listed would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff Caraway  bcaraway@domain.elided
Happy Porsche owner looking to own another German car.