Re: Euro delivery, planes trains Germany

Evan,

> I'm arranging for a Euro delivery in the spring, and would like to find
> out the best way get get from Frankfurt to Munich. What would the cost
> of taking the train to Munich be? Since there will be 3 or 4 of us,
> would renting a car (and paying for fuel and drop-off fee) be cheaper?
> How about commuter flights?

The best way I think would be for you to fly directly into Munich. This
is usually cheaper than flying into Frankfurt (airlines hosing business
people). After that, I would say the easiest for sake of convenience is
renting a car and driving from Frankfurt to Munich (it's easy, you take
Autobahn number 3 towards Wurzburg/Nurnburg, then near Nurnburg take
Autobahn number 9 down to Munich, then the first "ring". Any good map
that you buy in the states will have the BMW factory highlighted, also,
it's hard to miss as you are driving into Munich..... the building looks
like 4 cylinders...) (I think that's the route, but am not possitive. I
live here in Bamberg, which is 70km north of Nurnburg).

Trains are not really that cheap over here. Especially with 4 people on
a weekday. If you do decide to go by train, the best thing to do would
be to arrive in Frankfurt, then go to a Reiseburo (travel agent) they
can get you the cheapest fairs (with a printed out schedule/which track
number etc, if you explain where you want to go in Munich, they can get
you as close as possible with the station) on the trains as opposed to
going to the train ticket window in the Bahnhof. (The people in the
Reiseburo are nicer too)

Anywho, I recommend you rent a car. For two days it will not cost that
much. Europcar is a good company, avoid the American companies, they
tend to hose you over here with the insurance. If you call up the
american office of Europcar, explain that you need the car for two days
to go between Frrankfurt and Munich, and arrange for a pre-paid, all
inclusive insured car, the price will be lower than if you make a
reservation and have to pay for the insurance at the rental desk (for
example, we rented a car in Geneva one year for the auto show. In the
end the cost was $1300 for two weeks. The next year we pre-paid,
$450.... insurance included) Also, try and avoid returning the car at
the airport, there was a $150 airport fee in Geneva, and I am pretty
sure the same applies here in Germany.

Commuter flights cost a buddle... avoid them. That's why so many people
take the trains over here. (BTW, here is the Deutsche Bahn's online
train timetable:  http://bahn.hafas.de/english.html  it's in English.

Hope that helps. If you need any more help, drop me a line..

BTW, what model BMW are you picking up?

Prost!
Mark
- --
Mark Weaver - Brewer on the Loose
brewer@domain.elided
75'02 / 72tii / 87 Euro 318 / 88 F150 (for the winter, I swear!)
88 Lotus (OK OK OK, it's a Lotus mountain bike)
http://markweaver.com2tom.com/home.html

"...Man makes a car. Builds a road to run them on. Man dreams of
leaving, but he always stays behind..." Bono - The Edge