Re: <E28> BRAKES **Rob

Steve Poland  <polands@domain.elided>  wrote:

>Subject: E28 BRAKES
>
>Ok here is a new one:
>88 535is, 156,000miles.  Breaks normally operate very well, but recently
>have noticed that if applied very quickly, as in avoiding idiot drivers,
>it feels as though either the master or a wheel cylinder is hanging up,
>limiting pedal throw, and limiting stopping action.  When this occurs,
>the brake warning light on the dash lights up.  It does not occur when
>brakes are applied normally at least with a gradual initial pressure.

        It's kinda weird how there seems to be a glabal E28 synchronicity...
I am going to fix that exact same problem on my '85 535i tomorrow night.
It's supposed to be the "pressure accumulator", a part that looks like one
of those old-movie black-ball bombs with "bomb" printed on it.  It cost
about $80 and is supposed to be an easy install, it unscrews and the new one
screws in place.  I guess I'll find out real soon.

        The only difference between your car's symptoms and mine is that I
don't get the brake warning light on the dash... maybe I've got a burnt out
bulb.

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo

www.shortshifter.com