Re: <E28> "new" car glitches **Rob

 Mark Alan Selleck <glassimpressions@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: "new" car glitches
>
>Just got back from a 2100-mile "shake-down" trip with my "new" '85 535i:
>Half-way through the trip, the "check brake lights" warning started coming
>on when I engaged the cruise control.  Every time, now.  Suggestions?

    The check system for the lights relies on voltage continuity to know
that all the lights are working (which is why the brakes need to be applied
once to get the flashing "check" off your instrument panel).  What I would
guess is happening is that by applying the cruise, the voltage in the brake
light circuit is dropping just enough trigger the check system.

    Three things you can do:
1) remove all the brake lights and look for corrosion at the bulb contacts
and the socket contacts (where it goes into the metal panel).  Corrosion
acts as a resistor.
2) check that all the brake light bulbs are the same brand and model, and
that all are specifically Sylvania (apparently E28s don't like off-brand
bulbs).
3) apply dielectric grease to all the contact points in the bulb assembly.

>I'm wanting to put Mobil 1 in the car(used about 1 quart of oil since
>purchasing the car, running mostly high-speed interstate).  I've heard
>various cautions about changing over a high-mileage car, some suggestions
>that upon first change over oil should be dumped after 1000 miles.
Opinions?

    This is just my opinion, but I feel that Mobil 1 is a great regimen for
brand-new cars to keep them running forever.  Once a car is of "advanced
age" such as yours (and mine at 189K), it doesn't make any sense to use
synthetic.  A better practice is to be conscientious about checking the oil
level frequently and changing it every 3K miles.  That way you can be
assured of fresh oil (no contaminants, sludge accumulation, or gas from
rich-running or leaky injectors) and even changing that frequently is a lot
less expensive than regular 7500-mile changes with synthetic.  In additon, I
have heard problems about synthetic causing the seals in older cars to
shrink/dry and start leaking.

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo

www.shortshifter.com