General - Test driving policies at dealers

     Greetings:

     Here is the scenario:

        Two months ago, my fiancee and myself bring my 328 in for a
     scheduled oil service.  To make a long story short, the service rep
     that we dealt with was less then professional, and we received an
     apology from the service manager.  Since our routine oil service now
     became an "inspection I", we had a problem, since they said that they
     it would take about 2-3 hours to complete.  Since we did not plan on
     this event, they agreed to loan us a car for the afternoon.  During
     that afternoon, we were allowed to use a 1997 328 and a 1997 528 by
     ourselves over a period of three hours.

     Fast forward to this weekend.  We called the same sales rep that
     loaned us the 328 and 528 from before, and he remembers us since we
     come in from time to time to look at cars. We come in to test drive
     1999 328.  But this time the SAME sales rep that gave the 328 and 528
     before says that it is, and always has been, their policy to accompany
     the driver(s).  Both myself and my fiancee are very adamant about test
     driving cars WITHOUT a sales rep riding along.

     We asked to speak to the sales manager.  While we are standing in the
     showroom, the sales manager, our sales rep,and another sales rep are
     talking among themselves about 12 feet away.  After already feeling
     insulted, since we wanted to talk to the sales manager BEFORE they all
     got together to agree on their version of the facts, the sales manager
     tells us that it is, and always has been, their policy to accompany
     customers on test drives.

     We reminded the sales manager that on at LEAST three occasions over
     the last two years, we have test driven a mininum of four brand new
     BMWs of various price ranges alone without a sales rep.  The manager
     said that that was a mistake.  I can understand if we came in every
     weekend and wanted to test drive cars, but we have requested a test
     drive maybe four times in TWO years.

     This has also happened at another BMW dealer, where at one time we
     were allowed to test drive a car alone, no questions asked.  And then
     one week later, another sales rep. declares that he HAS to accompany
     us, because of their policy.

     My question is this to anyone who was test driven new BMWs:

        - do you, or have you ever requested to test drive the cars without
        a sales rep. present?

        - Were you allowed to do so on a consistent basis?

     I am afraid that this is another case of the 'typical' poor customer
     service attitude that seems to affect far too many BMW dealerships.
     As a point of reference, a short time ago, we stopped at a Lexus
     dealer about 20 minutes before close.  We were looking at a LX450 SUV.
     A sales rep came out to talk to us (he knew we were driving the
     328is).  Without any questions or hard sell, he threw us the keys to
     the $60000 SUV, without even asking for a copy of my driver license.

     Why can't I get this kind of respect and service from a BMW dealer?