Brake Shields M3

>Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 00:59:51 -0400
>From: robert l kollar <robkollar@domain.elided>
>Subject: E36 Shielding behind the rotors question

>Like that description?  that just means I don't know what the hell that
>thing is.  I am refering to the metal shielding that is the size of and
>resides behind the rotors.  My best guess is that they are some kind of a
>splash guard?  what do these things do and would anything negative result
>from my removing them?
>	I am currently putting on all new rotors, and while I have access I would
>assume that removing that shielding would provide better air flow to my
>brakes-  lemme know if I am way off here.

Robbie,

You are way off <grin>.

The purpose of the shields is to keep rocks, gravel and water out of the
backside of your brake rotors, thus preventing scoring of the discs and to
assist wet-stop capability.

They are NOT easy to remove unless you want to cut them off with a torch or
plasma cutter.  You have to pull the wheel bearings (can you say NIGHTMARE)
to get them off.  Generally, no one does this unless they are setting up a
full-blown ducting system for the track.

Here's what many (self included) do.  Push the shield all the way IN at the
top with you hands - towards the engine - on each side of the front brakes.
Push them as far as you can. This effectively helps to scoop air towards
the rotors and is a poor man's ducting set up that costs nothing and takes
all of a <burp> to do on each side to the car.

Antoher RM3DR1 tip from Duane Collie
///Team Bubba Racing