Re: CA. Dealer Recommedation

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 kielyk@domain.elided wrote:

> >I have been testing the customer support regarding service at various BMW
> ?dealers around the Bay Area and have decided IMHO that Claridges BMW in
> >Fremont, CA. is the best.
>
> Nitya ('98 M3/2)

> Glad that you are happy with Claridges. I can't concur. I think their
> service stinks. Examples....

 They couldn't tell that the interior rear trim piece wasn't installed
properly in my E30 iC.  I asked why the rear window slot was twice as wide
in the front as it was in the back.  They didn't know, but another car was
just like it.  Later, when I had it apart to do my own adjustments, I
discovered that it looked much better when it was properly assembled.
 They also thought that a driveline bearing was going out, so they tried to
sell me a complete $900 driveshaft assembly since, ya know, they were going
to be under there anyway.  This was at 35k miles.  About 10k miles later, I
still can detect no problem.
 They replaced the coolant & hoses.  The small hose to the tank leaks at
the radiator.  Knowing that the plastic radiators are trouble, I asked them
if I would be covered if they cracked it while trying to clamp off the
leak.  They said that they would have to try to fix it and break it before
they could tell me who would have to pay for a new radiator.  i.e. it might
somehow turn out to be my problem if they broke my radiator.
 On the bright side, they haven't scratched or stained anything.  And they
did replace (without complaining) a door seal, convertible top seal, and a
speaker shortly after I bought the (used) car from them.

- --
  John Bolhuis    | These are no ordinary monkeys --
 bolhuijo         | these are mean, spiteful, butt-biting
  @domain.elided   | monkeys with an obvious mission: conquest.
                                        -tabloid.net