<E34> Microfilter, cont'd.

Good to see Kurt Gibble given proper credit for the original
write-up on tackling microfilter replacement on the E34.  Just as
one additional datapoint, the microfilter capable heating systems
were implement with 11/90 production.  Some of the early cars were
microfilter capable, but were delivered without the microfilter
installed.  When I did the one on my M5 the first time, it was
equipped for it, but there was no filter in place.  The "special
tool" required to open the covering is a garden variety T20
socket.  And anyone who has seen the contortionists of Cirque de
Soleil now have a mental image of what, as many others have said,
is required to access the darn thing.  But it does make a very
noticeable difference in both dust control and increased airflow
to have a fresh filter in there.

Steve C.