re: E30 boot/trunk leak

MIcheal,

You might try replacing the seal. Based on a comparison of the seals on
my '91 318is and  '89 325i, the later car's seal has a larger diameter
circular section by 2 or 3 mm.

I had a similar problem with the 325i. The seal looked fine, but I still
had water in the trunk (boot), even after replacing the antenna gasket,
taillight gaskets, and backup light seals. I replaced the seal with a
new one, with a distinctly larger circular section, and I have no more
leakage. A noticeably higher effort is required to close the trunk
(boot) lid, with the same latch adustment; this provides a tighter seal.

Check both sides for water. It's easy to overlook water under the
battery tray (in later cars only?).
- --
Bob
'91 318is (for sale)