Re: <E34> Microfilter

> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 20:09:17 -0400
> From: "Brant M. Miller" <brant@domain.elided>
> Subject: <E34> Microfilter
>
> Working somewhat from Chilton (just short of useless
> for this job) and mostly from BMW fiche:

Excellent synopsis of the info on this procedure.

The Chilton's got me in trouble when I first tried this. As you say,
pretty much useless. The lovely black on black on black photos without
arrows do little to clarify what you must remove.

This caused me to go on a tangent and open an air duct with a vent
control arm attached. Not having the special tool or child-sized hands
to put it back right, I now have one floor vent that closes a bit off.
The upshot is that my floor vent lever won't go all the way to the
right anymore. Someday, I'll try getting in there again and tinker
with it.

The alternative to the manual procedure is $100+ parts and labor to
have someone else change it. After all they brag about the easy
location of the oil filter and air box, you'd think they'd make the
microfilter a relatively user replaceable part too. Particularly in
the South, which is pollen haven in the spring, you have to change
this filter at least every other year.

Derek (92 525i E34, Atlanta GA)