Re: Fw: 5-speed con.

Dear Brian:

Thank you very much for the list and suggestions on the 5 speed 635CSi
tranny conversion.

One question? Does the manual tranny tie into the DME or computerized
controls in anyway. Being that my car is wired to acommadate a
electronic controled auto tranny vs. standard automatic, it concerns me.
I have some type of tranny control box thats located behind the wall of
the front foot speaker on the drivers side. The wiring was altered to
accommadate a standard 4 speed automatic which never worked right. Any
thought on this?

BRIAN A AUSTIN wrote:

> ----------
> > From: BRIAN A AUSTIN <BE13@domain.elided>
> > To: bill@electraworld
> > Subject: 5-speed con.
> > Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 11:31 PM
> >
> > Bill,
> >
> > I have done the conversion! It really is pretty simple. Every thing is
> > pretty much bolt in and I will try to give you a complete list of parts.
> > happen to be a wrecking yard fanatic because it saves me allot of money
> and
> > I used mostly recycled parts but you always run the risk of crapped out
> > parts. Anyways here is the list.
> >
> > 1. 5-speed transmission
> > 2. Fly-wheel with new stretch bolts(long style)
> > 3. Pedal assembly
> > 4. Clutch master cylinder
> > 5. Clutch slave cylinder(you also need the brake line that runs from the
> > clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder. Also you need the hose that
> > runs from the brake fluid resevior to the clutch master cylinder.)
> > 6. Pressure Plate
> > 7. Clutch disk
> > 8. Throw out bearing
> > 9. Pilot bearing(6-9 can be purchased as a kit from Bavarian autosport
> for
> > around $200 I think. # is 1-800-535-2002)
> > 10. Shifter assembly(there are to styles, sheet metal and aluminum dog
> > bone. I would go with the aluminum style, it is less complicated. I am
> > going to try and send a schematic of the shifter assembly tomorrow.)
> > 11.Drive shaft( I recommend getting a used drive shaft for a 5-speed in
> > good condition.)
> > I think that's it. Its nice if you can find a wrecked 635 that hasn't
> been
> > stripped down because all the little pieces that you need are there. You
> > will also need misc. nuts, bolts, and screws. I usually get those at the
> > dealer brand new because they're pretty cheap. I don't know if you are a
> > 6-series fanatic but if you are I just put a 745i turbo engine into my
> 635
> > and it came out great. I have got to put a lower geared final drive in
> it(I
> > was thinking 2:93) because boost comes on at 3000 rpm and in a couple of
> > seconds you are at redline. I think the car would be more driveable with
> > longer boost duration. If you ever consider that I've got all the info.
> >
> > Anyways I hope this helps. It might seem like allot but it really isn't.
> If
> > you have any questions let me know.
> >
> > Brian         BE13@domain.elided

End of bmw-digest V9 #8