<E28> Sudden Fuel Consumpion increase question

Arthur:

Possible.  Possible.  Below is the temp range for the coolant
sensor for the ECU:

Degrees F        Resistance, ohms
- -----------------------------------------
 14               7,000 - 11,600
 43               4,700 -  4,900 *** temp sender for 5 series
 68               2,100 -  2,900
176                 270 -    400

You'll have to do the conversion to Centigrade!  ;~)

Is your tailpipe black inside?  Do you get black smoke?
These would be good indicators of overall richness.  Also,
pull the plugs and inspect each one - differences may tell
a tale.  Although it is mechanically difficult, pull the
cold start injector, power the fuel pump and see if it
drips.  (An easy way to power the fuel pump is to jump
straight from the battery positive to the appropriate
fuse in the fusebox. with the key on).  You will hear the
pump fire up, and the gas squirt by the fuel pressure
regulator.

>From: Arthur Manowski <manowski@domain.elided>
>Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:36:25 +0800
>Subject: <E28> Sudden Fuel Consumpion increase question
>
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I have an E28 528i with L-jetronic injection and i have noticed that my
>fuel consumption has increased all of a sudden.  I am using about 10-15%
>more fuel in the same conditions as before.
>
>Also, the driveabiltiy of the car has degraded noticeably.  It seems to
>lack pull at low revs (below 3500-4000rpm). I have also noticed that the
>fuel consumption guage (under tacho) reads quite high even when cruising
>on light throttle.
>
>Does anyone know what it could be?  I have checked plugs, cap rotor etc.
>I am thinking perhaps the temp sensors are shot and the computer thinks
>the engine is always cold, hence giving it more fuel.  Does anyone have
>resistance values for the temp switches so i can check them, or even
>testing procedure.
>
>Any information and help much appreciated.
>
>Arthur Manowski
>'82 E28 528i
>Perth, Western Australia

Larry Franks
Issaquah, Washington
'86 535i - Shark-infested (Authentic chip!)
'86 535i - Sharked (recently)
'83 245 GLT (Swedish iron)